Thursday, March 20, 2008

Thing #15

The video "A Vision of Students Today" was very interesting and has me thinking about the statics/information offered. I see how students today are immersed in technology/video games and have to be lured into learning. With their technology-savvy ways, they are not always grabbed by a lesson that does not involve technology (that they get to use instead of the teacher or peers) - Sitting and watching others is not the same as them being the ones clicking, searching, etc.

Now, I'm not that ancient, but I still remember sitting in typing class in 9th grade with typewriters. I did not have my first computer class until I was in high school. However, my oldest daughter started on the computer when she was a little over 3 and is very good finding her way around the computer/Internet at 5 years of age. With that said, we, as teachers and librarians, have to be mindful that students today are very much into technology and probably know more than we do, but with everything we've been learning through the 23 Things, we are sure to be up to par.

Library 2.0 is a wonderful way to keep technology infused into our program. It seems to be the way of the future. I loved "Into a New World of Librarianship" by Michael Stephens. His views/traits about Library 2.0 are easy to follow and mold into my library program.

Thanks Learn2Play and the Kickball captains for the opportunity to learn about this new world of libraries.

No comments: